By the end of the first quarter, ideally, your child should be able to:
- Blend sounds together to read words with short vowels (a,e,i,o,u).
- Use sounds and brave spelling to write a basic sentence, with a capital letter and an ending mark.
- Be reading at least a level D book (red- basket homework books).
- Know at least 90% of the first 67 sight words (pink list/ start of yellow list).
- Know 30- 0-5 addition facts in two minutes, and making progress on completing those 30 facts in one minute.
- Understand the concepts of noun, adjective, and verbs in writing.
We have already made many, many, many memories so far in first grade and we have learned a lot of neat things! We have learned all of our short vowel sounds, many spelling patterns, how to make basic addition sentences, and how to use our sounds to form words and make a sentence! We have learned about pumpkins, how to be a good citizen, how not to be a bully, and more! We are also starting to learn about the different animal families in preparation for our upcoming zoo field trip!
This upcoming quarter, we have a lot to look forward to:
- Our zoo field trip
- Our Halloween party
- learning about Holidays around the World!
- Our winter class party in December
- Our Thanksgiving Feast
- .... and more!
I can't wait to see/ meet all of our Room 117 families at the upcoming parent-teacher conferences next week!